12.14.2011

Mama said there'll be days like this

There'll be days like this my mama said
Mama said, mama said....

really love that song... and it is a good thing, since today, it appears to be my theme song.  I won't bore you will everything that has made today, "a day like this," but I might just highlight the most annoying ones.

So, this has decided to be broken!  To be fair - it is trying its best, it was built in 95.


Look - Little L tired to make it feel better with a reindeer picture.  She is one of the best girls I know!

Then, these decided to stop working and not give me any hints as why or how!  So, I decided (after lots of wasted time) I was broken, and could not fix them!  (I guess I apparently also decided that doing ones hair is over rated!)
And while we are on the topic of ME.... my skin (which is normally really good skin - thanks to my mom) erupted for the 4th time this month like a pubescent teenager.  Seriously, am I fifteen?  The answer is No... I am 37 - and I should have earned the right, by now, not to have any more pimples, dang it Mr Anderson!  It may have had something to do with ALL the chocolate I have been inhaling snacking on lately, but my brain is not willing to accept that.

Oh, and the dishwasher did not get turned on last night (because I forgot - and no one else ever remembers that kind of stuff) which meant we ran out of spoons this morning and guess who ate their Rice Krispies with a fork?  You might imagine how well that worked out, if you were able to take one look at my clothes.  I guess the thought of cleaning a spoon did not interest me that early in the morning - but probably would have been the better option.  Next time I will not be so lazy.

BUT, then this miracle happened....

My children who are not broken today - hugged me and told me they loved me (and all my brokenness)  - Gosh those little people sure can be nice!


AND

Anthropologie sent me a gift in the mail.... and I did not even have to pay for it.  They must love me as much as my kids do.  They really know how to make a girls day.
That colorful little whisk is so lovely, I just might cry (FYI - crying is something I do at most events in life)

Even with all that brokenness in my life today, people have a way of really surprising you!  It almost makes one glad to have a few broken things around - that way, all those unbroken things get appreciated!  Now I will celebrate - the only way I know how... dancing in my kitchen (by myself to Mama Said by The Shirelles) and baking stuff. 

FYI - the other night when Mr Anderson thought no one was watching..... E and I watched!  Guess what we saw?.....  Mr. Anderson shaking his booty about an inch, to the left side, repeatedly, on the down beat, to Feliz Navidad as he thumbed through the mail.  Secretly he REALLY does want to dance!

Tonight's celebratory dinner....

Pie & Lasagna
Kind of a weird pairing, but after all, it has been a day like this.

This is the Best apple pie recipe for a number of reasons - but my favorite reason is that you don't even need a pie pan - so go ahead and break yours!  Love that Pioneer Woman!
Flat Apple Pie - Ree Drummond (aka the pioneer woman)
Makes 2 Pies
  • 5 peeled and sliced Granny Smith apples
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • Juice of ½ lemon
  • ½ cup granulated sugar
  • ½ cup firmly packed brown sugar
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • 1 recipe Perfect Pie Crust (below; makes 2 crusts)
  • 4 tablespoons (½ stick) butter
1. Preheat the oven to 375ºF. In a large bowl, stir together the apples, flour, lemon juice, granulated sugar, brown sugar, and salt. Set aside.
2. Roll out two pie crusts into large circles. Place the circles on large baking sheets.
3. Place half the apple mixture on one crust and the other half on the other crust.
4. Fold over the edge of each crust so that it covers 2 to 3 inches of the apple mixture. No need to be artistic—the more rustic the better.
5. Dot the tops of the pies with chunks of butter.
6. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until the filling is golden and bubbly. If the crust appears to brown too quickly, cover the edges with aluminum foil for the remaining baking time.
Note: If you have two ovens, it’s best to bake the pies separately. If not, just allow enough room between racks so the heat can circulate properly.
7. Allow to cool slightly, then slice into wedges with a pizza cutter. Eat ’em on the go!

Perfect Pie Crust (also the pioneer woman)
Makes two to three 9-inch pie crusts
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1½ cups vegetable shortening
  • 1 egg
  • 5 tablespoons cold water
  • 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
1. Combine the flour and salt in a large bowl.
2. Add in the shortening. Using a pastry cutter, gradually work the shortening into the flour until the mixture resembles tiny pebbles. This step should take 3 or 4 minutes.
3. Lightly beat the egg with a fork, then add it to the mixture. Next, add in the cold water and vinegar. Stir the mixture together until it’s just combined, then remove half of the dough from the bowl.

Note: Dividing the dough in half results in two pretty generous pie crusts. If you desire a thinner crust, you may divide the dough into three crusts.
5. When you’re ready to use a crust, remove one from the freezer and allow it to sit on the counter to thaw slightly, about 20 minutes. Remove from the bag and place on a lightly floured surface.


Turkey Lasagna

This lasagna is from The Barefoot Contessa - This lasagna is made with Turkey sausage which sounds odd, but it is not. Trust me, I know food.

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup chopped yellow onion (1 onion)
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 pounds sweet Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes in tomato puree
1 6-ounce can tomato paste
1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, divided
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1/2 pound lasagna noodles
15 ounces ricotta cheese
3 to 4 ounces creamy goat cheese, crumbled
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus 1/4 cup for sprinkling
1 extra-large egg, lightly beaten
1 pound fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

Heat the olive oil in a large (10- to 12-inch) skillet. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes over medium-low heat, until translucent. Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute. Add the sausage and cook over medium-low heat, breaking it up with a fork, for 8 to 10 minutes, or until no longer pink. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, 2 tablespoons of the parsley, the basil, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Simmer, uncovered, over medium-low heat, for 15 to 20 minutes, until thickened.

Meanwhile, fill a large bowl with the hottest tap water. Add the noodles and allow them to sit in the water for 20 minutes. Drain.

In a medium bowl, combine the ricotta, goat cheese, 1 cup of Parmesan, the egg, the remaining 2 tablespoons of parsley, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Set aside.

Ladle 1/3 of the sauce into a 9 x 12 x 2-inch rectangular baking dish, spreading the sauce over the bottom of the dish. Then add the layers as follows: half the pasta, half the mozzarella, half the ricotta, and one third of the sauce. Add the rest of the pasta, mozzarella, ricotta, and finally, sauce. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese. Bake for 30 minutes, until the sauce is bubbling.

It is delish...



No comments:

Post a Comment