12.23.2011

Breast Cancer Awareness

So, I know that it is not officially Breast Cancer Awareness day or month, but for one of my children - it is.  My mom had breast cancer, and her mother - my grandma had breast cancer, a good friend of mines sister had breast cancer - all of them survivors.  I am convinced, I too, will have breast cancer one day, it is just a matter of when?  That being said, I wonder about that and I have questions - questions, seem perfectly normal. 

Anyway, I will not say which son of mine had some questions, as to protect his reputation... lets just give him an initial... how about an A?  And lets tell ourselves that he is probably under the age of 10.

So, we are out running a few last minutes errands today and this conversation happens...

A:  Mom, what happens when you get cancer?

Me:  You go and see and a doctor and they make you all better.

A:  No, like how do you get better?

Me:  Well, the doctor cuts out as much of the cancer as possible and then there are other treatments like.....

A: (interrupting me) It is cut out?  What if it is your.... chest?

Me:  Your Breasts?  They would still just cut out as much of it as they can.  Then....

A:  (interrupting me again) They cut your breasts off?

Me: No - Not if they don't have to.  Just the cancer part honey.

A:  Silence

Fast forward about 20 minutes....

A:  Hey look mom... I think that lady had breast cancer!

Me:  You can't really tell just from looking at a person.

A:  Yes you can - look.

.......A very flat woman in a tight blue workout hoddie walks by.

Me:  Silence

In moments such as those, I find myself lost for words.  Silence seems to be the best option sometimes.  I am not sure if my silence is a form of denial - like I am going to pretend this conversation did not happen or if I really don't have a response.  What ever the reason, I am reminded of a baby card that I received when on of my boys was born that said....

Thank goodness for little boys, for without them, what would little girls do?


And so I wonder... what would I do?



No comments:

Post a Comment